Re: gEDA-user: OT - Joystick control of stepper or servo motors

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 09:26 +0900, John Doty wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2011, at 12:49 AM, David C. Kerber wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestions, DJ.  Unfortunately, there's really no
> room for a pc where I have the microscope set up, and most laptops
> don't even have parallel ports any more.  Plus running a full-blown pc
> just to drive a microscope seems like rather a  waste of electricity.
>
> At Noqsi, we're starting to do jobs like this with an Armadeus board
> (http://www.armadeus.com/). Tiny Linux system with an attached FPGA
> for custom interfaces. Free/open software, firmware, and hardware. You
> could use the Linux USB infrastructure.

How much does the Armadeus board cost?

We use this, which is (in spirit at least), similar:
http://balloonboard.org/

(But the designs are open ;))

Prices depend on whether you want an FPGA (Â300) or CPLD (Â200) variant,
and are available from http://iendian.com

I had a meeting with their design team today, talking about open EDA
tools and Open Hardware.

Some of these guys are scary serious.. anyone else know someone with a
pick+place robot in their garage?

http://sites.google.com/site/balloonboards/people

Might give you an idea of the people involved.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,