Re: gEDA-user: pcb: possible to have multiple silk layers?

On 1/26/2011 1:23 PM, Colin D Bennett wrote:
Is there any way to set up multiple silk screen layers in pcb?  The
idea is that I want to be able to turn off display of the extra
text/graphics on the silk layer that I have added to the board, but
still be able to see the component outlines.

For the same purpose I also wish we could group objects together
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/pcb/+bug/699592>  so that my imported
text/graphics I add to the board (output from pstoedit, which are
composed of many separate polygons) can be easily moved, rotated, or
deleted as a unit.

A trick that I use is to put extra stuff on a copper layer. This layer can be turned on and off easily. When I make the board, I just toss the Gerber file of that layer. In your case, this extra copper layer can have just the outlines and the silk will have the full outlines and text. Then the full silk layer can be turned on and off while working, but it is what will be printed to the board as the silk layer.

Rick