Re: gEDA-user: Soldering minute smt

On 01/27/2011 08:47 AM, Rob Butts wrote:

    I'm trying to solder a 10 pin MSOP chip to a home made circuit board.
    The pitch of this chip is just 0.5 mm.  We tried using the slightests
    of dabs of solder across the pins and then used a heat gun the melt the
    solder but now I have a chip soldered down with two five pin solder
    blobs on each side.  My next step is to use solder wick to try and wick
    up the excess but I wanted to see if there is a better way of doing
    this first.

If you've already got blobs wick off excess and use liberal amounts of flux and reflow - this allows the surface tension of the molten solder to separate at the pin/pad breaks and helps prevent bridging.

I've gotten pretty good with the 10-pin MSOPs by hand:

http://members.cox.net/ebrombaugh1/synth/audiodac/index.html

My technique is to apply _no_ solder, plenty of flux gel and just allow the existing solder plating on the PCB to reflow. For the board fab I use this is sufficient to provide a good meniscus and the IC is well attached. I also have a very fine-point iron.

Eric