Re: gEDA-user: Soldering minute smt

On 01/27/2011 09:47 AM, Rob Butts wrote:
    Holy miniature footprints Batman!!!

    I'm trying to solder a 10 pin MSOP chip to a home made circuit board.
    The pitch of this chip is just 0.5 mm.  We tried using the slightests
    of dabs of solder across the pins and then used a heat gun the melt the
    solder but now I have a chip soldered down with two five pin solder
    blobs on each side.  My next step is to use solder wick to try and wick
    up the excess but I wanted to see if there is a better way of doing
    this first.

    Thanks

I do SC-70, 0.5mm and 0.65 often. As others have pointed out flux is your friend. What I do is put a small blob of solder on the tip of iron and then rotate the iron about 90deg. Bring the tip next to the pin and rotate the iron so the solder blob will wick onto the pin. You can actually control it by rotating the iron tip. Do 2 or 4 corners. Flux the entire part again. Put a dab of solder on the iron and start working across the pins. You can just drag the iron across them. More flux and solder wick will clean up any shorts.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.