gEDA-user: Thermals on Pads

When I design surface mount boards I make extensive use of planes, and
it is a severe annoyance that I can't automatically connect those
planes to component pads.  The standard solutions to this problem seem
to be either:

1) Use a solid plane.  But that makes soldering difficult.

2) Draw a very small solid rectangle to connect your pad to the plane.
 That works, but it's labor intensive.

I'm a novice to the pcb code base, and I couldn't find much developer
documentation, but I am willing to try to add this feature.  I need a
little help though: the pcb code base is too large for me to grok all
at once.  Could someone please tell me where to start?  What would I
have to modify to allow this?

-Alan