Re: gEDA-user: Thermals on Pads

On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 12:54 -0700, asomers@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> When I design surface mount boards I make extensive use of planes, and
> it is a severe annoyance that I can't automatically connect those
> planes to component pads.  The standard solutions to this problem seem
> to be either:

What is wrong with a track segment which you "join" to the polygon with
the "j" hotkey? (Were you aware of that one?)

When it comes to auto-thermal'ing pads, one has a lot of possible
choices of trace thickness, orientation etc.. and it is not obvious
whether an auto-thermal would be an easy thing to do.

IMO, what we "want" is an auto-join based on connectivity. (Lets presume
we can mark the plane as "belonging" to the GND net.. draw a trace which
connects to a pad which belongs to that net and it should quite probably
join up (by default).

NB: Sometimes one deliberately routes a track belonging to the same
"net" separately - 4 terminal current sensing springs to mind, where big
polygons might make up the power traces.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,