Re: gEDA-user: vpi compile mingw

CN wrote:
| Steve,
|
| As I had mentioned here before, I was following to the letter the
| mingw.txt instructions; this is the first time I had ever installed any
| of these cygwin, gnuwin32 or mingw tools.
|
| Anyway, I solved the problem :) Well, I believe, I found a couple of
| errors in the source (conditional for mingw); it seems the win build was
| not updated for some time -- just a guess.

I boot my Windows machine only under extreme duress, so yes, the Windows
port occasionally suffers. There are in fact a lot of ports that sometimes
suffer. I have:

Linux SuSE 9.2 on AMD64
Mac OS X 10.3 on a Powerbook G4 (and Xcode 1.x)

These are where I do my initial Icarus Verilog work, so these are typically
in the best shape.

I also have an unskinned Windows machine that's used for day-job driver
work that I boot rarely. I do IV work on Windows only if there are specific
issues I'm chasing, or a release is approaching. I might do a lot more for
Windows if I can do a Mingw *cross* build for Windows from my AMD64 system.

Beyond the immediate porting base that I work on, I try to collect patches
from others more familiar with the target at hand.

| There were two defines, like,
| #define ftello ftell
| #define fseeko fseek
|
| but without any paramers in the .../vpi/lxt2_write.h. I am guessing that
| with the stricter rules of later versions of the compiler,
|
| #define ftello ftell
|
| is not applied when the occurance is ftello(a).
|
| I had to change it to
|
| #define ftello(a) ftell(a)
|
| Also another file lxt_write.h did not have these defines at all. With
| these fixed, it compiled with the mingw liberty lib! and passed the make
| check!!

Can you send me patches for these changes? I'll apply them to the CVS
branch for you if they look OK. Also, I can make a fresh tarball of
the head of the 0.8 branch for the sake of some others who are having
similar troubles.

| In my opinion, somebody who is knowledgeable in the win build area,
| needs to bring the mingw.txt uptodate with the current versions of all
| the tools. Steve, where should I send these and other fixes that I had
| to do to get the build going? The other changes I did may perhaps be
| avoided, if the paths are specified correctly... I have almost no prior
| experience with any of these tools; only about the last 8 days I spent
| on and off on getting this build done...

I don't have a lot of brain cells to devote to this, but I can look over
patches that you have and apply them. And if properly coerced, I might
even test them on a Windows system. (Do I see two guys at the door with
brief cases and dark glasses?)

| This is is the wonderful program, thanks for providing it!
|
| Cordially,
| Chacko
|

| On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 18:40:21 -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:
|
| CN wrote:
| | I got most of the modules built; the synthesis portion appears to be
| working. However
| vpi fails make check. I had to supply c:/cygwin/lib/libc.a to the link
| step for the vpi
| build to complete; otherwise I get undefined references to `fseeko' and
| `ftello'. I do
| not know if that is the correct libc, but that is the only one I have
| under the cygwin,
| mingw, mingw-packages, and gnuwin32 trees here.
| |
| | make[1]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/ivl_ag/v81b/vvp'
| | ./vvp -M../vpi ./examples/hello.vvp | grep 'Hello, World.'
| | 3 [main] ? 4080 cygheap_fixup_in_child: Couldn't reserve 9891792 bytes of
| | space for cygwin's heap (0x61820000 <0xE30000>) in child, Win32 error 487
| | c:\ivl_ag\v81b\vvp\vvp.exe (4080): *** m.AllocationBase 0x0,
| m.BaseAddress 0x618
| | 20000, m.RegionSize 0x3E0000, m.State 0x10000
| |