Re: [OT] Re: gEDA-user: PCB GTK version...

On 7/31/05, Jakub Piotr Cłapa <jpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Leva wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:38:34 +0200
> > Jakub Piotr Cłapa <jpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Killing the app
> >>simply because the connection to the X server broke kind of sucks.
> >
> > This happened to mee one time with PCB. Can anyone tell me why?
>
> I was rather thinking of the possibility to kill the X server and later,
> reconnect the apps to another one. It's perfectly possible with the X11
> protocol but quite difficult for apps based on Xlib.

As I understand it, the display migration protocol for X requires the
application to be connected to both the "old" and the "new" displays
for a brief period before disconnecting from the old one.

I think the problem with your scenario lies in controlling where the
app reconnects to-- remember that once you kill the initial display
connection, the app has no UI.

An alternative is to start up xvncserver, which creates a virtual
display that the clients can connect to. Then, you can point one or
more VNC clients to xvncserver, and disconnect and reconnect at will.

--
- Charles Lepple