Re: [OT] Re: gEDA-user: PCB GTK version...

Charles Lepple wrote:
On 7/31/05, Jakub Piotr CÅapa <jpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Leva wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:38:34 +0200
Jakub Piotr CÅapa <jpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Killing the app
simply because the connection to the X server broke kind of sucks.

This happened to mee one time with PCB. Can anyone tell me why?

I was rather thinking of the possibility to kill the X server and later, reconnect the apps to another one. It's perfectly possible with the X11 protocol but quite difficult for apps based on Xlib.

As I understand it, the display migration protocol for X requires the application to be connected to both the "old" and the "new" displays for a brief period before disconnecting from the old one.

I don't think it's really needed --- the program would have to simply open a new connection and create windows.

I think the problem with your scenario lies in controlling where the
app reconnects to-- remember that once you kill the initial display
connection, the app has no UI.

Sockets or named pipes could be used. In case of need for ,,cool'' technology ;] it could run on DBus.

An alternative is to start up xvncserver, which creates a virtual
display that the clients can connect to. Then, you can point one or
more VNC clients to xvncserver, and disconnect and reconnect at will.

The problem is that it's simply not implemented. AFAIK the only program that can freely migrate between X servers is Emacs.

--
Regards,
Jakub Piotr CÅapa