Re: gEDA-user: wishful thinking from a user point of view (5)

On Monday 02 July 2007 18:24:03 Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> If a symbol was changed after "down-symbol" these changese very likely
> are intended to propagate to the current schematic. Currently, this
> involves manual interaction by the user:
> a) save symbol
> b) do "up-symbol"
> c) select the affected symbols
> d) do "update symbols"
>
> Step c) is particular error prone, if the project contains more than one
> instance of the symbol. I'd appreciate, if save and update symbols could
> be done automatically.

I think I mentioned about a week ago that I'm looking into a total revamp of
the way embedding works, with a change to embedding by default.

Basically, only _one_ copy of each symbol used would be stored in the file,
and then each time you place the symbol a reference would be added.

Then the workflow would be:

1. Down symbol.  If it's possible to edit the original library symbol, you
have the option to; otherwise it opens the embedded version for editing.

2. Save symbol.  If you're editing the embedded version, it and all its
instances would be automatically updated.  (You always have the option to
save to a file instead).  If you're editing the library version, it's saved
to the library.

3. If you were editing a library symbol, you're symbols _won't_ be
automatically updated.  You'll go to the library view, where that symbol's
entry on the list will have an icon indicating that there is a different
version in the library.  Clicking a button will update all the symbols the
schematic with the changes.

Of course, this is still merely a twinkle in my mind's eye at the moment. ;)

                           Peter

--
Peter Brett

Electronic Systems Engineer