Re: gEDA-user: wishful thinking from a user point of view (2)

Hi all,

FWIW,

About content:
If pcb only had thumbnail images generated for every footprint in the
way done in John Luciani's footprints index.
The thumbnail images for footprints distributed with pcb could be
created during build/install-time before run-time.
Newly made footprint thumbnail images could be created with a
post-processing script.
Can this be achieved with (modifying) the existing code from the
png/gif/jpg exporter?

About method:
And if gschem had an attribute editor in which it would lookup these
thumbnail images when the user selects the footprint attribute= in the
combobox of the attribute editor. A search path for the footprint
thumbnail images could be put in the gafrc file.
Can this be achieved with (modifying) the existing code in the preview
widget as is used in the component selector (x_preview.c:
preview_update()).

About eyecandy:
and gschem had a footprint preview widget which would be raised
(expanding the attribute editor ? or a popup widget ?) and/or
refreshed/updated when the corresponding footprint thumbnail image was
found.
Can this be achieved with (modifying) the existing code of the preview
widget used in the component selector ?

Just my EUR 0.02

Kind regards,

Bert Timmerman.