Re: gEDA-user: Can't route

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 08:19:34AM -0700, Steve Meier wrote:

> p.s. my current project uses 1020 pin fpgas and was layed out on 12
> layers. One key is to be willing to swap io pins at layout time to
> minimize the need for traces to cross each other.

It would be great if someone doing advanced work could post some examples
somewhere.  It would give new users confidence that PCB can handle these
things.  Darrell Harmon's SBC (4 layer CPU board) was one of the things
that got me to try geda/pcb.

As for FPGA routing, I also just did an FPGA board, only QFP208 (don't
laugh ;-) and what I did was leave all the FPGA IO pins unassigned, but
named all the nets coming out of the peripherals.  Then after I did the
physical layout, I routed the pins as needed, using 'n' to pop up the
rename dialog and see what kind of pins were in the target area (I'm
seriously considering adding the pin name/number under the crosshair to
the status bar!).  After routing, optimizing the ratsnest complains that
'Warning! Net "A13" is shorted to U1 pin 123'.  That list guided me in
naming nets connected to the FPGA symbol.  Once I was done I just made
a new netlist and verified that the routing was complete.

I'm considering how to automate the second part.  If I pre-drew unnamed
nets hanging off the fpga pins, I could automatically add the netname
attributes based on a PCB-generated report.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>