Re: gEDA-user: Way OT: Architectural CAD programs (moving further left)

Yea that is what I was thinking. My wife is a geologist and while she
makes heavy use of ESRI GIS programs for mapping complex geology,
faults, land slides etc. When it is time to do the cross sections she
uses Adobe Illustrator. CAD seems good at representing very exact ideas
it seems not as capable at representing ambiguity when representing
ambiguity is needed.

However, I believe the professionals are moving away from paper but
personally I am a clutz at illustrator like apps. Hmm and not much
better with a white board.

OK I mentioned a couple of proprietary programs so for the open source
competition there is GRASS for GIS and there are at least a couple of
illustrator like applications.

GIS is geographical information system and is where your data has
location information associated with it. So you shove your data into a
database and then can plot the data out onto a map. There are also a
number of other simulation and analysis packages you can run against the
data.

Steve M.