Re: gEDA-user: Way OT: Architectural CAD programs

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 06:48:17PM -0400, Randall Nortman wrote:
> I know this really has nothing to do with gEDA, but I figure there's
> likely some overlap in knowledge.  I'm looking for a program to create
> building plans with -- floor plans and elevations would be the key
> outputs.  Preferrably this would be free, open-source, and run on
> Linux, and would already have standard floor plan symbols (doors,
> etc.) built in so I don't have to draw that stuff by hand.  I would
> really prefer a CAD program rather than a vector drawing program if
> possible -- i.e., I create a model of the building, and it can spit
> out plans and elevations from that model.  I don't need really fancy
> engineering features like load analysis, though.  Anybody have any
> recommendations?

Not sure whether it meets your requirements of "free, open-source, and
run on Linux", but my boss recently had an extension done on his house,
and he was particularly enthusiastic about Google's free 3D design tool
(can't remember the name).

--
David Smith        | Tel: +44 (0)1454 462380    Home: +44 (0)1454 616963
STMicroelectronics | Fax: +44 (0)1454 462305  Mobile: +44 (0)7932 642724