Re: gEDA-user: [pcb] "Ben Mode" board photograph exporter

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 02:32:01PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> 	http://www.delorie.com/pcb/ben-mode/
>
> The shadow/highlight algorithms are designed for 9x oversampling
> (i.e. give 300 dpi then scale it down to 100dpi in gimp).  4x
> oversampling left too many "ghost edges".

Here's the board that started it all:

	http://ad7gd.net/flex/flexpretty.png      (orig)
	http://ad7gd.net/flex/flexpretty-bm.png   (new)

I tried a board with 8/8 rules and I couldn't get good results with a
final output size of approximately 1:1.  The shadowing combined with the
fine/close lines turns into a mess.  It looks great at 2:1, but then it
doesn't even fit on *my* monitor.  I tried several oversampling ratios
and scaling techniques (linear, cubic, sinc, one pass, multipass,
oversampling up to 4x).

I also noticed some effects (like silk lines disappearing when scaling
from high oversampling rates) that made me think that line weights might
not be scaled properly in the PNG HID.

> Ideas for improvements:

I checked in one already -- I fixed a crash caused by my layer stack
being backwards from yours.

> * options for silk/mask color.

For extra cost, of course.  ;-)

> * make the drills truly transparent using the png alpha channel.
>   (option for light/dark background might be needed).

I added that before, did it break?

> * support outline layer to make shaped image using alpha channel.

Or at least honor 'only visible', which doesn't seem to work when
'ben mode' is on.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>