Re: gEDA-user: [pcb] "Ben Mode" board photograph exporter

> I tried a board with 8/8 rules and I couldn't get good results with a
> final output size of approximately 1:1.

I use "--dpi 100" for 1:1, but "--dpi 300" and them reduce 1:3 in GIMP
gives a significantly better image.

You might have better luck with a 1.5x scale (--dpi 450 then 1:3).

Keep in mind that modern monitors have 10 mil pixels.  Unless you put
10/10 lines on a 10 mil grid, things will get messy.  You could try
125 dpi, which would match an 8/8 grid, etc.

Also, for a fair comparison with your original image, tell the hid to
produce an image the same size (or 2x for AA) as your original image.

> The shadowing combined with the fine/close lines turns into a mess.

You can reduce the impact of the shadowing by making the initial image
larger, and reducing it more with GIMP.

> I also noticed some effects (like silk lines disappearing when scaling
> from high oversampling rates) that made me think that line weights might
> not be scaled properly in the PNG HID.

I use the PNG hid for my inkjet prints and laser transfers.  The pixel
widths are as perfect as I can get them.  I suppose we could try to
re-align (or re-size) everything according to the upscale factor, but
I doubt it would give us a more realistic picture.

> I checked in one already -- I fixed a crash caused by my layer stack
> being backwards from yours.

Sorry ;-)

Note also that this is the first (official?) patch that assumes that
the group order is the physical stacking order.

> > * options for silk/mask color.
>
> For extra cost, of course.  ;-)

Of course!!

> > * make the drills truly transparent using the png alpha channel.
> >   (option for light/dark background might be needed).
>
> I added that before, did it break?

The "ben mode" logic doesn't use *that* part of the existing png
stuff.  It has the hid make a set of monochrome images (to which
shadowing hints are applied), and merges them itself.  I suspect
adding an alpha channel would be pretty easy, I just didn't do it.

> > * support outline layer to make shaped image using alpha channel.
>
> Or at least honor 'only visible', which doesn't seem to work when
> 'ben mode' is on.

I was thinking of more fab-real options, like "no silk", "no mask",
and "no tinning".  It would be weird to show your board with pins and
vias missing.

An option to print the bottom would be useful, though.