Re: gEDA-user: [pcb] "Ben Mode" board photograph exporter

> Ohhhh, I finally figured it out, almost by accident: The PNG is
> indexed, so GIMP is resizing it in indexed mode, which comes out
> like crap.  If I switch to RGB first it works muuuch better.  That
> makes a lot more sense.

Oops, sorry about that.  Yeah, you can't just resize pngs in gimp
without changing the mode to RGB first.  Another reason to do that
step inside pcb; gd has an RGB format but I don't think older gd's
support it, it would have to be tested for.

> There are two options, "as shown" and "only visible".  "As shown"
> refers to the layers that are on.  "only visible" means (at least
> without "ben mode") to export only the visible viewport.  That's why
> I mentioned it as a stepping stone to "outline" support.

IMHO "as shown" will almost always get too close to the parts, closer
than any real board.  The intent with that was to use it to produce
figures for documentation, where you only want to see the
element/copper/via/whatever and there won't be any borders around it
anyway.

For a real outline, we need to consider a non-rectangular outline -
gather up segments, match them into polygons, fill them with opaque,
etc.