Re: gEDA-user: gnucap - oscillator example

Paul Tan wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
>> "give the the script to do what I just did".
>
> Do you mean:
> 1)  the user activated a submenu item, and he/she wants to
>     display the "Scheme/shell" script that was activated?
> or
>
> 2) The user wants to display the last user input dialog
>     before he/she click OK?  Like a repeat last Macro?

What I meant was this.  You fire up a GUI simulation environment.  Set
the top level schematic, pick a transient analysis, set things like
start/stop time, set any design variables that may need setting (power
supply voltage, amplitude/frequency of some source, a resistor value,
etc), run the sim and plot some outputs.  Now you pick some "save
simulation script" option and you'll get a script that if you execute
it, you'll reproduce the simulation.

The idea is that maybe you want to do something more complicated in a
scripting environment but you can use the gui as a 'script builder' for
working out the basic simulation commands.

An example output (in no particular language) that I'm envisioning would
be something like:

------------------------------

# the top netlist
design = mynetlist.net

# include model libraries
include_model = transistors.lib
include_model = chips.lib

# set design variables
setparam R1=10k
setparam VDD=1.8

# set up a transient sim
analysis name=tran1 type=tran start=0 stop=1u

# set up an ac sim
analysis name=ac1 type=ac ......

# run the sims
run tran1
run ac1

# do post processing (fft's, differential/common mode calculations, etc)

# plot the outputs
plot ......

------------------------

In other words, it doesn't have info like "user clicked here" but it has
all the info needed to reproduce the configured simulation.

Now that the user has the basic commands all in place in a file it can
be much easier to expand what the simulation covers (say a power supply
sweep, amplitude sweep, temperature sweep, stability of multiple loops,
etc).

> Dan, have you got a chance to try the
> "Generic Gschem Dynamic Scripting Tools Menus" package I posted
> http://archives.seul.org/geda/dev/Jul-2008/msg00012.html ?
>
> If you did, any thoughts and suggestions?

I have not.  Do you have a web page with maybe a screen shot and example
of what it does?

Were you able to take advantage of any of the work I did a few years
back in adding some guile functions to gschem to support adding a 'pcb'
or 'gnucap' menu?  Sadly, I ran out of time and never quite hit critical
mass on that.