Re: gEDA-user: ideeas for gschem and pcb

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 5:32 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The pin number assignments are not always the same between the
>> different footprints.
>
> Yeah.  We've talked about this before, what you need is something that
> maps a symbol (or group of alternate symbols) to a footprint, but ALSO
> includes pin mapping and slotting information.  That way, a NAND gate
> can be used for a single-gate SOT23-5 as well as a quad gate 7400.
>
> If that same something had vendor and part number information, you'd
> have a light-to-heavy converter ;-)

Have you tried my branch?  It's even got an example of two nand gates
implemented by a 7400.  Caveat emptor - it works for me, but seems to
break everywhere else!  Oh, and don't do too much undo/redo while you
draw nets - seems to trigger segfaults.

There's also a choice between nand-1.sym and nand-2.sym, both of which
7400-slots.sym accepts (the part slot and the graphical symbol both
have an attribute whose value has to match).

Yes, my example is missing vendor and part number information.  I'm
still trying to decide how much the "part" symbols should be
parameterized, or if the status quo of a 1:1 mapping between
real-world parts and part symbols is better.