Re: gEDA-user: PCB: rectangular polygons and route clearance in pcb-gtk

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:41 PM, James Johnston <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What milling machine / software are you using?

We use the Windows only CircuitCAM software at school. In Altium I had
to add a new polygon with a 30mil clearance. This is only a school
rule and the pcb's are not going into production if this rule is not
met :)

> Of course, I routinely keep copper on many of my PCBs for things like ground
> / power planes.  Usually I put ground on the bottom and keep signals on the
> top as much as possible; it's worked for me so far for the relatively simple
> PCBs I've done so far.

How you connect a polygon to the GND layer? A polygon connected to GND
would also needing a clearance to signal layers. I think this would be
the same problem. On which layer do you draw the top-layer routes?

In the Altium software and OrCAD there were always a TopLayer,
BottomLayer, TopOutline etc. , but in PCB I don't fully understand the
naming schema.

Regards