Re: gEDA-user: PCB: rectangular polygons and route clearance in pcb-gtk

Ah... CircuitCAM is also what I used.  CircuitCAM defines what is known as
rub-out areas.  Google it to learn more.  Basically it is a layer drawn
during the CAM process that controls the generation of the milling layers.
All unconnected residual copper will be rubbed out, but only if it's in an
area covered by rubout rectangle.  Otherwise it just does isolation milling
with the 8 mil bit: which is a little cheaper to produce but has some of the
pains I previously outlined and isn't an accurate reproduction of the board
design anyway.

If you aren't defining rubout areas in your CAM file then I don't see why
your school would have a problem with an existing design.

For using copper fills for ground planes, well I asked the same question
awhile back, see:

http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Jun-2008/msg00218.html

In PCB it can easily become a royal pain but it can be done.  This stems
from the fact that a polygon cannot be assigned to a net.  E.g. you can't
name the polygon "GND" and have GND traces connected to it and all others
isolated.  IIRC each trace has an attribute that determines if it's isolated
or not from any polygon.  See previous link.  If you want your
vias/thru-holes to connect to that polygon on a layer, you create "thermals"
on that layer.  Connecting SMT pads to a polygon isn't well supported now
but can be done.

But I've only done this process once in PCB, so I'm not an expert by any
stretch of the imagination.

Top layer is "component side" and bottom layer is "solder side."  Board
outlines are created by dedicating one of the other (unused) signal layers
to a board outline and then using the resulting Gerber file for the layer to
do your board routing.

Keep persisting; to me I think there's value in storing your designs in a
package that is (1) completely free, (2) stores all files in a textual
format.  Your designs are not locked into a binary, proprietary data format
like with the other CAD design packages.  (vendor lock-in = sucks).  Think
about the designs you are making now with the school's Altium package.  If
you want to continue working on them after school you'll have to buy an
Altium license, which is probably overkill for most of your needs.

--James