Re: gEDA-user: Needs create a language (english, spanish...) specific list?

On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 01:55:38PM +0200, Rubén Gómez Antolí wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> In last months I think about is a good point to create specifics
> language list (I'm talking about english, spanish, russian, french, etc
> not about verilog, spice and others).
>
> This list is bigger with a huge traffic monthly, is not easy for a non
> english native speaker follow large threads with many technical terms
> (and no ever only electronics).

That may be true, but I find that because I buy components and tools,
and sometimes also subcontract PCB manufacturing in foreign countries,
I have to document and do everything in english anyway (try to find
a non english datasheet: I have recently got one, since the english
version was an awful translation from the original korean, fortunately
it was short).

I use three languages almost everyday (I'm french, I live in Spain and
I work for an international research institute). However, when I am in
front of a computer, I think in english.

> For the newbies in electronics ang Geda is a barrier, for newbies in
> Geda is a possible barrier. My case is that I was out of electronics
> world for years, is difficult for me follow discussions, and asking too;
> I think that someone should be in same case and Geda should be lost
> potencially users.
>
> I see that exits a portuguese list of Geda (0); Is it a good point
> create some other languages list?

Having a single list means that the information/tips/hints are centralized
instead of spread and having the same question being repeated/translated
to every language. Besides that, if you want to solve a specific problem,
the likeliness that someone has already encountered and solved said problem
on a centralized list is much larger.

Now the above is only valid for the mailing list, I think that translating
the documentation and wiki pages is a very good idea. The problem is to
make sure that they are kept in sync, or rather to prevent them from
falling too much behind.

> Desde El Ejido, en Almería, usuario registrado Linux #294013

Desde Granada, casí un vecino :-)

	Gabriel