Re: gEDA-user: gerbv-2.3.0 released

John Luciani wrote:
>    On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Dan McMahill <[1]dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>    wrote:
>
>      John Luciani wrote:
>      >    On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Dan McMahill
>      <[1][2]dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>    >    wrote:
>    >
>    >    Mark Rages wrote:
>    >    > What is the likelihood of moving --photo-mode from pcb to gerbv
>    >    where
>    >    > it belongs?
>    >
>    >      don't know about *moving* it.  I'm certainly not opposed to
>    >      *adding* it
>    >      to gerbv though.  I guess I'd have to do some reading of the
>    code
>    >      to see
>    >      exactly what photo-mode is doing though.  Also I'm not that
>    >      familiar
>    >      with how much of the drawing part of gerbv works.  Patches are
>    >      always
>    >      welcome.
>    >
>    >    Can PCB plot gerber files from the command line? If not I would
>    rather
>    >    not
>    >    see the --photo-mode removed. I use this mode from the command
>    line
>    >    all the time (thanks Ben and DJ). When I need to email a snapshot
>    of a
>    >    layout I type in pcb-pic and the script outputs top and bottom
>    jpegs
>    >    that I attach. It is nice to type in a single command rather than
>    >    multiple menus
>    >    to plot gerbers.
>
>      Don't worry, I have no intention of removing photo mode from pcb.
>      Thats
>      why I said I have no objections to adding to gerbv but I do object
>      *moving* (implying removal from pcb) it to gerbv
>      btw, pcb of course can export RS-274X straight from the command
>      line and
>      gerbv can plot to pdf, png, postscript from the command line as
>      well.  I
>      can't take credit for any of those features but I'm a big fan of
>      supporting command line operation.
>
>    Thanks DJ and Dan. I had thought that because of dialog boxes
>    exporting
>    some file types from the command line were not possible. Happy to
>    be wrong.

The cool thing is the exporter HID's just define a list of attributes
that can be adjusted when exporting.  They really don't know about
dialog boxes or command lines.  Both the command line access and the
dialog box access happen automagically.  The consequence is adding a new
option to an exporter requires no GUI or command line parsing code changes.

-Dan