Re: gEDA-user: merge multi symbol components

Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>> The main case I'd like to catch is unintentionally duplicated symbols. If
>> both, refdes and all pins are identical, it is safe to assume an error.
>>

> Nak.  In my case, I use one symbol to refer to all 8/16/32 bits of a
> GPIO port on a microcontroller.  I'll use a few bits from that port on
> one page, and a few on another.

I've never seen it done that way, could make the schematic hard to read.
The customary way would be to place the whole uC on a sheet and then
pipe its pins to ports, which in turn correspond to ports on several
other sheets. They would be assigned meaningful names such as "P3.7" or
"ADC5" so most engineers would know what that is even if they don't have
the uC sheet in front of them.

> If I'm dealing with a wired-OR input, then the same pin might get used
> on several different sheets.  And if that's the only pin on a port that
> gets used, then your logic would trip it as an unintentionally
> duplicated symbol.

I guess in medical or similar regulated fields that would get you
flogged when the auditor cometh ;-)

But to everyone his style ...

--
Regards, Joerg