Re: gEDA-user: chip scale package soldering

Bob Paddock wrote:
   They are a real pain in the butt to get the flux out from under.
   If you are running battery powered stuff, where you want the lowest
   sleep currents, you either don't use QFN, or put a lot of attention in
   to making sure the flux is out from under them.  I've seen currents go
   from over 100 uA to less than my meters can measure after several
   rounds of cleaning, under some Accelerometers and AVRs.

Bob Paddock wrote:
>    Many QFNs can look like they have nice solder points on the edges, but
>    don't actually get any real solder under the part to the pads.  These
>    projects are prone to infant mortality failures.
>
>      You will love the leadless packages if you have ever bent the pins
>      or
>      solder-bridged a TSSOP part.
>
>    I've used both.  I'll take the pins.

Thanks Bob.  I'll keep these killer problems in mind for my low power
sensor systems that will be out in the wild heat and humidity.

John