Re: gEDA-user: gEDA schematic footprints

On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 19:20 +0200, kai-martin knaak wrote:
> blueeagle2@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I was going through the gEDA tutorial and though it lists footprints for
> > the tutorial, it does not say how I would determine what footprints to use
> > for other components.
>
> You just hit a major weakness of the geda-pcb work-flow. There is not much
> in the tools to aid the selection.

This is true, but we should say that this is in first order a problem
for beginners. I can remember that I struggled with a few footprints for
my first board, I think the problem was about mixing m4 footprints with
parameters and newlib footprints. But this is really a minor problem if
one has some experience. Much more difficult is to ensure that all your
footprints on your PCB board really match with your devices. One has to
do a printout of the PCB board and place all devices on it. Next time,
when you order parts from a different company, you may get other shapes
again... And one has to consider the soldering process, i.e. hand
soldering may need extended pads for DFN devices.