Re: gEDA-user: pcb grid improvements... status of patch?

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 05:47:39PM -0400, Vanessa Ezekowitz wrote:

> Why not add the Attribute() item as DJ suggested, but put it
> at the top somewhere, inside a comment?  Versions of PCB that
> don't understand it would simply ignore it.
>
> Move it out of "commented out" status when that major file format
> change that was talked about previously takes place.
>
> Same could hold true for any other optional/non-critical changes
> to the file format.

In this case, we can add attributes without making any changes
to the format. But in general, I would be strongly against any
"magic comment"-style format changes. These would be hard to
parse, cause fatal syntax errors on similar-looking comments,
and make the file format even cruftier than it already is.

The major file format change will be a change toward an
extensible file format in which data and file structure are
independent, so we will no longer break things by adding
features.

--
Andrew Poelstra
Email: asp11 at sfu.ca OR apoelstra at wpsoftware.net