Re: gEDA-user: PCB for veroboard layout?

On Wednesday 11 June 2003 22:13, Xtian Xultz wrote:
> Normally, when I have to prototype something that is so complicated that a
> EDA is needed to design on the veroboard, I prefer to design a layout on
> PCB and make the board with the laserfilm process.

If you have experience with the tools then it is normally no work at all. You
need to document your work somehow, and sooner or later you are going pcb and
then you have to make the schematics anyway. If I, on top, would like to
simulate the circuit, I have to have some kind of netlist for the simulator
input, that is also a good reason for using schematic capture. (geda is
simple enough that one can use it without being a rocket scientist)

If I can use PCB for all my layout work, then I would already have all the
components placed during veroboard layout and going to real pcb is then a
question of saving the prototype under a new name and rip up the work,
replace and reroute.

Etching PCBs is not an option for me as there is no such equipment available,
and my previous experience is that after ethcing there is drilling ...

My first experiments with PCB tell me that it is not capable of being used the
way I was thinking of without some reprogramming. But, hey the source is open
..

See you
--
Svenn