Gentoo: was Re gEDA-user: use of include symbol from misc library

Hi Ales,

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:10:32 -0400
Ales Hvezda <ahvezda@seul.org> wrote:

> [snip]
> >Ales has mentioned that geda debs would fit on seul. It would be a reasonable
> >place to keep debs for the seul hosted geda stuff, maybe other similar
> >packages. I just don't know if it is possible to convince the maintainer of
> >the debs. There is need for another line in sources.list also.
> >

> 	Yeah, keeping the debs and rpms (I'm a little behind in getting
> those in place, maybe I'll do that tonight) on the geda machine is no problem
> at all.
>
> 	However, I'm curious, how would people react if I created
> statically linked and install independent binaries for new releases?
> Would people find that useful?	Presumably, these static binaries would
> run on any Linux system.

I've switched to Gentoo Linux which as you probably know is a source based distro, like Freebsd.
Gentoo uses a 'ebuild' script for every application and I'm about to have a go at making a Gaf and Pcb
'ebuild' script as only the oregano-0.23-r1 and xcircuit-2.5.5 are available as yet.

The good part about it all is that no one need provide binaries, and a gentoo system will
auto fetch the source tarball from the home site or mirror and install it.

It's as simple as "emerge gaf" :)

--
Kind Regards
Terry