Re: gEDA-user: panel/case design

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 12:15:20PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> >>  Indeed, releasing it was one of the few good things my government
> >>has
> >>done in the past few years.  Its user interface is pure hell to learn,
> >
> >Don't worry, it is compensated by the breaches of Geneve convention.
>
>   Hey, my government is above the law, haven't you heard?
>
>   Makes me sick.  SICK, I tell you.  Just please don't think we're all
> like that.  The suits in Washington are completely out of control.

Yes I have seen the "sorry we couldn't tip it over" site after Bush
election. Made a feeling that half of the nation is really sorry.

Looks like the nations are undergoing some kind of cycles. I was
thinking why it is and came to conclusion Erich Fromm concludes in his
book Fear from Freedom. Actually the problem seems to be in the fact
that people are like cogwheels in some big machine of society instead
of living their own personality.

I think free software and free technology is answer to this. The
relationship between me and proprietary technology supplier is money
which is inhuman and evil. The relationship between me and free
technology supplier (Linux, gEDA, BRL-CAD, etc.) is human and reflects
the needs of society and the laws of reality.

When people realize that, I guess it will become OK back. The poor
nations will just build what they need themselves from ubiquitous free
technology and wars will stop. Apache has >60% of market share and
Mozilal Firefox 15%. Looks like working on free technology and waiting
is enough.

Free technology also doesn't mean empty fridge. People are willing to
send you money (see my Ronja site or Theo de Raadt's OpenBSD or Samba's
list of financial contributions). Corporations won't usually send you a
dime, but those 15 years old enthusiastic students which spend on free
technology instead on cigarettes are likely to be enough to keep the
highly efficient machinery of free technology running and slowly
crunching the evil :)

Noone tells you to do things in conflict with your inner feeling on free
technology, therefore the cause of tendency to totaliarianism in society
according to Fromm is terminated and therefore it should eventually
vanish.

Dalailama says that compassion is important. And that's exactly what
I get on these mailing lists. People care about me and the very my
problems. If I wrote to proprietary vendor that it crashed, they
would first calculate if it will bring money to fix it, without taking
any humanity into account.

The only real risk is that George Bush decides that
Russia/China/Europe/whatever is axis of evil and drops his nukes there,
and someone then gets angry and carpets U. S. with nukes too.  Which
will mean that all the civilized world will become one huge Chernobyl,
wich all the plants to make our sophisticated goods, and people will
emigrate not being able to make anything anymore in the old way.

Now imagine you are a black native African and two people come to you
and say:
1) Hi I am a wealthy manager and can offer you a lot of money in form
of radioactive stocks on a radioactive stock market
2) Hi I am a hacker and can build a stove from trashed bean can

"Hmmm... mana-what? stock what? I don't understand. But stove - that
means I can cook! Let's kick this mana-whatever man into ass and let
him die from famine, and take Mr. Hacker to our slum and give him a
bit of food and two empty bean cans."

CL<