Re: gEDA-user: Help request

On Friday 16 June 2006 16:21, Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote:
> What is it with Ubuntu or Kubuntu that makes you _not_ use
> Debian directly?

I use Debian directly, but I think I can explain it...

First, take a look at what Debian offers...  There are 3
variants:  "stable", "testing" and "unstable".

"Stable" is in the opinion of many, too stable for comfort.  It
has two important distinguishing characteristics.  The first is
that it is reputed to be extremely reliable, making it well
suited for servers that absolutely must work, with a minimum of
down time.  The second is that it is a long time between
releases, and even when a version is released it is a year or
so behind.  With a 2 year release cycle, this means it is about
3 years behind when the next major release comes out.  I have
heard it called "Debian Fossil".  This is ok for a server,
usually, but "desktop" users usually want something more
recent.  It gets a lot of criticism for this.  Between major
updates, the only changes important bug fixes.  Security
related bugs are addressed very fast.  When there is such a fix
in a new "upstream" release of a package, they won't use the
new release.  Instead, they patch the old release to fix the
bug.

On the other extreme is "unstable" which tries to be always
current.  It usually includes the most recent "stable" release
of most packages.  It usually doesn't go so far as the
development snapshots.  To do this, it means daily updates.
Sometimes a single package can be updated several times in a
week.  Occasionally it breaks.

"Testing" is somewhere in between, but much closer
to "unstable".  Basically, if a package survives 10 days
without serious bug reports in "unstable", it automatically
moves to "testing".  There are daily updates, but they are not
as big as in "unstable".  When a package is so volatile to be
itself updated daily, these versions do not propagate
to "testing".  Occasionally it breaks.

This set of 3 does not provide what a typical casual desktop
user wants, which is fairly stable, but not so much as to be
years behind.

Debian is a distribution for techies.  There are certain aspects
of it that make it appeal to the more technically oriented.
Beginners are often intimidated by this.

Looking at these two issues, this is where Ubuntu comes in.  It
provides a sort-of stable release, with major updates about
twice a year, then holding except for important updates between
them.  As I understand, they take a snapshot of Debian (testing
or unstable, I am not sure which), freeze it, and harden a
subset of packages that are important to mainstream desktop
users.  It is a similar process to Debian stable, but only on a
subset of the packages and a subset of the platforms.  This
becomes the "main" part of the distribution.  The rest of
Debian becomes the "universe" part of the distribution, without
any additional testing.  You need to enable the universe.  It
is off by default.  It is a check box in the graphic installer.

The latest version (Dapper) of Ubuntu has a graphic installer
and a live CD.  You can run off the CD like Knoppix with a
subset of the packages.  Then click the install icon to install
on your hard disk if you want.  It is a nice graphic installer,
with a few issues that are expected on a first release.  The
previous release (Breezy) used the Debian installer.

There are several variants of Ubuntu, but they are all on an
equal level, with different focuses.  There is "kubuntu" which
substitutes KDE for Gnome.  There is a server version.  There
are a few others.

As I understand, Ubuntu gives the changes back to Debian, which
it respects as sort of a master distribution.  Lots of the
Debian packages do have Ubuntu entries in the change logs.

So, it is a fairly up-to-date, newbie friendly variant of
Debian.  I think of it as the Debian variant between stable and
testing.

When you want to move on to Debian (testing or unstable), just
change some info in /etc/apt/sources.list, then "sudo apt-get
update" and "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade".

Regarding Stuart's comment about a disproportionate share of
install problems on Ubuntu (but not Debian).  The difference is
that Ubuntu, being more newbie friendly and being marketed as
such, attracts more newbies who are likely to have trouble by
overlooking things that people who have been around consider
obvious.  I think it is good that it is bringing these people
into the fold, who would still be on MS-Windows otherwise.
Most of them who try to use the CD don't realize that Ubuntu
packages for gEDA already exist.  You just need to "sudo
apt-get install geda".

I am not trying to convince anyone to use any particular
distribution.  I am just conveying what I believe their intent
is.