gEDA-user: gsch2pcb creating board.pcb syntax errors?

Some of the elements in my generated (by gsch2pcb) board.pcb have parse
errors.  (for a new project, but it already has many elements)

After Element(blah) (body) there's stray text:

ERROR parsing file 'board.pcb'
    line:        1058

Element(0x00 "" "" "" 203 0 3 100 0x00)
(
).fp(SOT89.fp,U301,unknown)

That is the footprint, and the footprint is correct.

If I zap them all (in vi, :g/^)\.fp/s/.*/)/ ) then the board loads fine,
but that information (the name of the part) isn't in the Element line,
so the netlist is scrogged (which causes pcb to crash unless you save
and reload, in which case it prints a list of all the missing pins next
time you optimize rats).

It smacks of an m4 bug, but I don't even know if m4 is involved here.
The file /usr/local/share/pcb/pcblib-newlib/geda/SOT89.fp does not have
the stray text (assuming that file was generated by m4).

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
<ben@xxxxxxx>