Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb creating board.pcb syntax errors?

Dan McMahill wrote:
> Ben Jackson wrote:
>> Some of the elements in my generated (by gsch2pcb) board.pcb have parse
>> errors.  (for a new project, but it already has many elements)
>>
>> After Element(blah) (body) there's stray text:
>>
>> ERROR parsing file 'board.pcb'
>>     line:        1058
>>
>> Element(0x00 "" "" "" 203 0 3 100 0x00)
>> (
>> ).fp(SOT89.fp,U301,unknown)
>>
>> That is the footprint, and the footprint is correct.
>>
>> If I zap them all (in vi, :g/^)\.fp/s/.*/)/ ) then the board loads fine,
>> but that information (the name of the part) isn't in the Element line,
>> so the netlist is scrogged (which causes pcb to crash unless you save
>> and reload, in which case it prints a list of all the missing pins next
>> time you optimize rats).
>>
>> It smacks of an m4 bug, but I don't even know if m4 is involved here.
>> The file /usr/local/share/pcb/pcblib-newlib/geda/SOT89.fp does not have
>> the stray text (assuming that file was generated by m4).
>
> hmmm.  I think I may have an idea.  I doubt this is any sort of m4 bug
> but rather a bug in how gsch2pcb creates a file to feed to m4.  What do
> you have in your project file and what gsch2pcb version do you have?
>
> Actually, if you can bundle up a small test case that demonstrates this
> bug it will help me in fixing it.
>
> More or less whats happening is gsch2pcb is looking for SOT89 and
> SOT89.fp files and also trying to send
> PKG_SOT89.fp(SOT89.fp,U301,unknown) through m4 where it really shouldn't
> have the .fp there.
>
> If you haven't seen a fix in about a week then bug me about it since
> that probably means I got busy and then forgot.
>
> -Dan

I left out the most important question.  What exactly did you set your
footprint= to in your schematic?  It should be SOT89 and *not* SOT89.fp
otherwise you will feed garbage to m4.

gsch2pcb will search for files without the .fp and then automatically
search for files with .fp if the former is gone.

-Dan