Re: gEDA-user: Icarus Verilog going git.

On Jun 16, 2007, at 1:00 AM, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
>>    After I got it built (which took most of an afternoon), it took
>
> Huh?  git took 15 minutes to build completely, from scratch, on my box
> (800MHz Athlon, Slot A, EV6 bus motherboard).

   It was not compilation time.  I'm not running Linux on a PC, and
apparently the git authors think (or thought) that "all the world's a
Linux PC".

>>    After that experience, I labeled it as "some kid's pet revision
>> control system" and vowed to never go near it again.
>
> git clone http://....
>
> or
>
> git clone git://...

   Yep, that's pretty close to what I ended up doing.  I seem to
recall, however, that it pulled down *all* revisions to every source
file.  (this was many months and a whole lot of stressful times ago,
so my memory of this is fuzzy)

> I admit that git isn't the easiest tool to use around (you can't beat
> darcs for its superior command-line interface), especially when patch
> management gets complex, but surely for simple operations, it's not
> any harder than using anything else.

   I've not seen darcs; I will take a look at it.  Admittedly CVS
does have a steep learning curve, but (for me) that learning curve
took place a long time ago.  It seems like every other month or so I
hear of some new revision control system that is supposed to "replace
the evil nasty CVS" when it really seems to me that there are a
number of software packages out there that are in FAR FAR greater
need of "fixing".  CVS has its [rather significant] warts, no doubt
about it, but it does the job reasonably well.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL