Re: gEDA-user: Using the currently available binary I end up with this response

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 6:51 AM, Peter Clifton <pcjc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 22:32 -0400, Gregg Levine wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>> And now a new problem for us to consider.
>> It seems to be complaining about how the D-Bus library was setup. And
>> it's complaining about not being able to find the entry
>> /var/lib/dbus/machine-id it seems it wasn't setup.
>>
>> This is from running the geda thing directly from the bin directory.
>
> xgsch2pcb (I think symlinked to "geda" in the binary distribution)
> requires DBus to communicate with PCB.
>
> It sounds like you haven't got DBus running on your remote login
> session. That isn't entirely surprising, it usually only gets launched
> with a full desktop session.
>
> Try:
>
> dbus-launch geda
>
> (or)
>
> dbus-launch xgsc2pcb
>
> The missing machine-id may be more related to the "system bus", but I'm
> not sure. If you just installed DBus, you might need a reboot (or to
> restart its service), for that to be generated the first time.
>
> Again.. what distro is this?
>
> --
> Peter Clifton
>
> Electrical Engineering Division,
> Engineering Department,
> University of Cambridge,
> 9, JJ Thomson Avenue,
> Cambridge
>
> CB3 0FA
>
> Tel: +44 (0)7729 980173 - (No signal in the lab!)

Hello!
You asked " Again.. what distro is this?". It is still Slackware 11.0.
With KDE and some GTK stuff installed, but I've never gotten a proper
GNOME session on it.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@xxxxxxxxx
"This signature was once found posting rude
 messages in English in the Moscow subway."