Re: gEDA-user: Investigating gEDA for commercial use

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:08:21 +0200, Duncan Drennan wrote:

>> 1. a maintained Windows binary installer; and
>
> Is there anyone who is willing to do this for a fee? e.g. build a
> windows snapshot of gschem, PCB, gerbv (and whatever else) once a month

Peter Baxendale is almnost there with his cygwin port. He does it once a
year to serve the local students. For whoever missed the announcement
last month: I put the latest port by Peter along with the latest direct
windows port by Cesar for download on my wiki in Hannover. I will update
as soon as one of them releases a new version.

Address of the wiki page is at (sorry, german only):
http://bibo.iqo.uni-hannover.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fertigung:start#geda

Tiny link to the cygwin package: http://tinylink.com/?R2MalpkGfB
(124 MB, includes all the necessary cygwin tools)

Tiny link to the cross compile: http://tinylink.com/?m67b9f9NqN
(55 MB)

Did anyone actually try and use these downloads yet?

> for a fixed fee.
> If there is someone, roughly what would that fee be?

This depends a lot on what is expected.
If it is just about running and maintaining a bunch of scripts, there may
be volunteers who would see this as their contribution to the project and
do it for free. It would be healthy if this volunteer would be an active
windows user. So he/she stands a chance to immediately see some blunder
cropping up.

If it is about targeting and hunting down windows/linux
incompatibilities, the workload involved might explode.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog