Re: gEDA-user: Investigating gEDA for commercial use

Chris Smith wrote:
> Duncan Drennan wrote:
>>> 1. a maintained Windows binary installer; and
>> Is there anyone who is willing to do this for a fee? e.g. build a
>> windows snapshot of gschem, PCB, gerbv (and whatever else) once a
>> month for a fixed fee. If there is someone, roughly what would that
>> fee be?
>
> What exactly is involved?  It's been quite a few years since I last used
> or developed for Windows in anger and my only access to it these days is
> using a VM session.  If it's simply a case of building and packaging the
> binaries, using one of the previously posted methods as a guide, I'd be
> willing to do this (without payment).

fwiw, pcb and gerbv release snapshots have had windows installers to go
with them for the last several snapshots.  On the gerbv end things Just
Work (as far as I know).  On the pcb end, we do have an issue with the
way the m4 generated footprints end up named in pcblib-newlib.
Basically, they are not uniquely named and that causes some issues.  I
haven't had time to work with it.  The other known pain about pcb under
windows is the only path to printing is postscript output and then you
need ghostscript to convert to pdf for printing under windows.

gaf (gschem, gnetlist, and friends) I think have an extra level of
challenge which is gnetlist is by design a command line utility so you
need some sort of shell.  I suspect under cygwin its not so tough to
make it all work, but this is not the fully self contained windows
installer that many users want.