gEDA-user: CNC Milling

I've been thinking for a while about CNC milling as a means of board fabrication over chemical etching.
The limiting factor for the idea is cost. Every premade PCB mill I have found has been well over $3000UAU.
One LPKF mill I found, which was advertised as their 'budget' model started at $20,000AU. Does anyone know
of any 'cheaper' PCB mill manufacturers and if so do the play nicely with PCB gerber files. It seems like
most mills I've found require their own proprietary, windows only, software or a conversion from gerber to
g-code.

It seems like it is pretty popular for people to make their own mills but I'm not too confident I could pull
this off well.

Thanks
Nick