Re: gEDA-user: RFC: Towards a better symbol/package pin-mapping strategy

John Doty wrote:

> Repeat after me:
>
> "There are very few symbols distributed with gEDA that are perfectly
> suited to my project and my design flow."

Agreed!

> I understand you want to patch over this somehow.

Not so much "patch over" as to prevent duplication of work by every gEDA
user out there reimplementing the same symbols and footprints over and
over again.

How many NAND symbols do we need?  Right now, it's one for each
different footprint that the symbol relates to.  I think that's
unacceptable.

Yes, the core of gEDA is incredibly flexible and I don't have any desire
to change that.  I would just rather focus my CPU cycles on design, and
not ridiculously redundant and error-prone junk like creating a
half-dozen NAND symbols that only differ by one or two lines.  That's
grunt work that a silicon CPU should be doing, not me.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx