Re: gEDA-user: RFC: Towards a better symbol/package pin-mapping strategy

On Jun 28, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Steven Michalske wrote:

> The power of text based file formats :-)

The way I do connectors these days is that I have a "connector"
symbol that's just a box with refes=, device=, and footprint=. I'll
place that and draw a bus to it. Make the appropriate connections to
the bus. Then, make a table of the pin connections and convert to
a .sch file using the pins2gsch script I posted here last year. The
pins2gsch output is humanly unreadable, but works fine with gnetlist
as long as it comes after the real schematic on the command line
(otherwise you run into the "gnetlist only takes attributes from the
first instance it sees" bug).

I think a table of pins is a much easier way to understand a big
connector than a tangle of lines. The PC board layout guy I've been
working with likes it also: he'll tweak the table to make his job
easier, send it back to me...

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx