Re: gEDA-user: RFC: Towards a better symbol/package pin-mapping strategy

On Jun 28, 2009, at 2:58 PM, John Doty wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Steven Michalske wrote:
>
>> The power of text based file formats :-)
>
> The way I do connectors these days is that I have a "connector"
> symbol that's just a box with refes=, device=, and footprint=. I'll
> place that and draw a bus to it. Make the appropriate connections to
> the bus. Then, make a table of the pin connections and convert to
> a .sch file using the pins2gsch script I posted here last year. The
> pins2gsch output is humanly unreadable, but works fine with gnetlist
> as long as it comes after the real schematic on the command line
> (otherwise you run into the "gnetlist only takes attributes from the
> first instance it sees" bug).
>
> I think a table of pins is a much easier way to understand a big
> connector than a tangle of lines. The PC board layout guy I've been
> working with likes it also: he'll tweak the table to make his job
> easier, send it back to me...

This is fantastic example of scripted intermediate steps.
Here is the message for those interested.
http://archives.seul.org/geda/dev/Nov-2008/msg00069.html

John did any bug fixes or features get introduced since then?

Did you ever do or think about anything for mating connectors, or a
graphical representation?

Steve