Re: gEDA-user: RFC: Towards a better symbol/package pin-mapping strategy

On Jun 28, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Steven Michalske wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2009, at 2:58 PM, John Doty wrote:
>

>> On Jun 28, 2009, at 2:43 PM, Steven Michalske wrote:
>>
>>> The power of text based file formats :-)
>>
>> The way I do connectors these days is that I have a "connector"
>> symbol that's just a box with refes=, device=, and footprint=. I'll
>> place that and draw a bus to it. Make the appropriate connections to
>> the bus. Then, make a table of the pin connections and convert to
>> a .sch file using the pins2gsch script I posted here last year. The
>> pins2gsch output is humanly unreadable, but works fine with gnetlist
>> as long as it comes after the real schematic on the command line
>> (otherwise you run into the "gnetlist only takes attributes from the
>> first instance it sees" bug).
>>
>> I think a table of pins is a much easier way to understand a big
>> connector than a tangle of lines. The PC board layout guy I've been
>> working with likes it also: he'll tweak the table to make his job
>> easier, send it back to me...
>>

> This is fantastic example of scripted intermediate steps.
> Here is the message for those interested.
> http://archives.seul.org/geda/dev/Nov-2008/msg00069.html
>
> John did any bug fixes or features get introduced since then?

Nope. What I posted there is identical to what I'm using except for
some CVS boilerplate comments. I keep thinking I should wrap a shell
script around it but I haven't gotten the proverbial round tuit.

> Did you ever do or think about anything for mating connectors,

I just use the same table for both connectors. In the graphical
schematic, the box representing the connector gets the appropriate
device= and footprint= for its gender. Convert the table to .sch,
include that .sch in the input to gnetlist for both boards.

The designs I've used this for employ stacking connectors. If you lay
out the most difficult board in the stack first, you can adjust its
connector pinouts to reduce the difficulty and then propagate those
to the other boards trivially this way.

> or a
> graphical representation?

Nope.