Re: gEDA-user: RFC: Towards a better symbol/package pin-mapping strategy

On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 15:38 -0600, John Doty wrote:

> > How many NAND symbols do we need?  Right now, it's one for each
> > different footprint that the symbol relates to.  I think that's
> > unacceptable.
>
> How does your plan differ, except by making the process more
> complicated? You have to put the information *somewhere*. For maximum
> ease and flexibility, put it in your project's copy of the relevant
> symbol. You don't need to implement or learn *any* additional
> capability beyond what Hs gives you.

Currently we (may) have different symbol files for the the same device
with different footprints. So we have the same graphics elements
multiple times. This is redundancy, wast of storage area, and it makes
it more work to modify the graphics. So it is not a perfect solution.

And replacing a symbol in a schematic only because we want a different
footprint is not a very natural way for me.

Best regards

Stefan Salewski