Re: gEDA-user: RFC: Towards a better symbol/package pin-mapping strategy

On Jun 28, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Stefan Salewski wrote:

> Currently we (may) have different symbol files for the the same device
> with different footprints.

Not a lot, I think. It's easier to find examples of the same device
with different graphics.

> So we have the same graphics elements
> multiple times.
> This is redundancy, wast of storage area,

On my little netbook, the whole distributed symbol library takes up
~0.1% of the file system. And I don't think there's really a whole
lot of redundancy of the kind you're talking about.

> and it makes
> it more work to modify the graphics.

In the published symbols, the graphics rarely need modification, I
think.

> So it is not a perfect solution.

Nothing's perfect. But is is simple, flexible, and pretty
transparent. Those are virtues one should not take for granted.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx