Re: gEDA-user: PCB Patches: Use c99 bool instead of manual typedef.

On Sat, 2010-06-05 at 16:22 +0200, kai-martin knaak wrote:
> Peter Clifton wrote:
>
> > Btw.. for those using my branches, you might like to re-fetch now.
>
> Thanks!
> I put an update on my todo list for the weekend.
>
> BTW, your before pours branch works much better in real life projects than
> the current head. Transparency is a big step forward in usability. The
> resulting graphics is faster than the traditional version, too (on my fairly
> moderate hardware -- single processor, AGP-graphics card). When will these
> improvements be merged with the main version of pcb?

Hopefully.. here is a (short^M^M^M^M^M LONG) list of why it hasn't
happened so far:

1. Polygon speed-up branch it sits on had some bugs in which ate certain
boards (now fixed!)

2. Polygon speed-up patches need some tidying, consolidating, possibly
re-benchmarking, and carefully reviewing.

3. One portion of the polygon speed-up work uses GLib in PCB's core.
This means an extra dependency for all builds (currently only required
for GTK / toporouter). I'm inclined to push for GLib as a core
dependency - rather than re-writing that code (although it wouldn't be
too hard - it was just some GList stuff I was using).

4. The changed grid snapping heuristics in "before_pours" need review. I
have been meaning to re-write this code (again), as in some places - the
crosshair can snap to an object which is then ignored in preference to
something further away!

5. I need to write some better configure.ac tests for the required GL
libraries.

6. (BIG JOB): I need to figure out how to make GL / GDK build time
selectable. When I started the branch, I just ripped out the GDK stuff
and replaced with GL code. This means a large amount of work to piece
the two back together.

7. Would be nice to fix stencil based polygon drawing for the
solder-mask.

8. Would be nice to fall-back to a no-holes dicer / tessellator based
polygon rendering for cards without sufficient stencil bits (although
I'm not sure if there are any such cards in common use).

9. The 3D view code is pretty rubbish - and needs refactoring not to
require poking secret variables previously hidden inside PCB's core.

10. Licensing details and separation of Bentley-Ottman code stolen from
Cairo needs to be sorted out, including (possibly) changing its
name-space to avoid possible conflicts.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton