Re: gEDA-user: PCB Patches: Use c99 bool instead of manual typedef.

Peter Clifton wrote:

> 3. One portion of the polygon speed-up work uses GLib in PCB's core.
> This means an extra dependency for all builds (currently only required
> for GTK / toporouter). I'm inclined to push for GLib as a core
> dependency - rather than re-writing that code (although it wouldn't be
> too hard - it was just some GList stuff I was using).

If I dare to remove libglib2 from my desktop, the package manager wants to
remove literally a thousand packages to resolve the missing dependency.
Seems like glib is pretty ubiquitous on linux machines, anyway. What builds
would most likely suffer? Windows? Mac? BSD?

> 4. The changed grid snapping heuristics in "before_pours" need review. I
> have been meaning to re-write this code (again), as in some places - the
> crosshair can snap to an object which is then ignored in preference to
> something further away!

Couldn't this be separated from the GL stuff?

> 5. I need to write some better configure.ac tests for the required GL
> libraries.
>
> 6. (BIG JOB): I need to figure out how to make GL / GDK build time
> selectable. When I started the branch, I just ripped out the GDK stuff
> and replaced with GL code. This means a large amount of work to piece
> the two back together.

ok, I see the problem. This sounds like a large amount of work. Why did you
rip out the GDK code in the first place?

> 7. Would be nice to fix stencil based polygon drawing for the
> solder-mask.
>
> 8. Would be nice to fall-back to a no-holes dicer / tessellator based
> polygon rendering for cards without sufficient stencil bits (although
> I'm not sure if there are any such cards in common use).

IMHO, nice-to-haves can wait.

> 9. The 3D view code is pretty rubbish - and needs refactoring not to
> require poking secret variables previously hidden inside PCB's core.

I wouldn't miss 3-D view if it were to be removed completely.

> 10. Licensing details and separation of Bentley-Ottman code stolen from
> Cairo needs to be sorted out, including (possibly) changing its
> name-space to avoid possible conflicts.

Is there a possible license conflict? I thought cairo is open source, too?

Greetings from sunny Hannover,

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak