gEDA-user: pcb still unable to run actions with print HID

I just did a fresh clone of pcb head from git and did the usual combo of
autogen, configure and make install  ("git fetch" on my old copy failed to
compile). All went well with the freshly downloaded version.

However, when I tried to print from the command line I got a familiar error
message:
"HID error: pcb called GUI function nogui_invalidate_lr without having a GUI
available."

This means, the patch I submitted to let pcb parse action scripts with the
print HID had in part not been applied. Looking at hidnogui.c the function
nogui_invalidate_lr does indeed end in a CRASH statement. In my original
patch I commented this statement. Yes I admit, this was sort of a stab in
the dark, since I did not grasp what "nogui_invalidate_lr" was supposed to
be doing in the first place.

After nagging twice and ranting once on this list, this topic was discussed
more than a year after I submitted the patch. Developers admitted, they
don't know in detail, either. It was suggested to deal with the more general
problem: hidnogui.c doubles as a default for the case without any HID and
for the case with print HID. Seems like this did not happen. The CRASH
statement is not disabled, either.

I understand, that you are weary to remove the CRASH statement when not 100%
sure what it's purpose in this particular case is. But is this a valid
reason to withhold a working patch and keep printing from the command line
in a crippled state? I made it pretty clear, that I am interested in getting
command line printing fixed. Why didn't I get a note that only half the
patch was applied? Yes, I can fix it on my local copy. But this does not
help with colleagues and students who I teach using geda.

What can I do to get command line printing working in the default short of
rolling my own distribution?

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak