Re: gEDA-user: homebrew UV photoplotter for direct exposing of photo-etch-resist on laminate

>   The last time I tried it, several years ago, it was 0.8mm pitch
> and an Apple LaserWriter 16/600PS (canon EX engine) and got crap
> results.  Now I have HP 8100DN and 8550DN printers; do you think
> either of those would be worth a try?

Print these and inspect them under a microscope:
http://www.delorie.com/pcb/spirals/

The etched board will almost always be worse than whatever toner is on
the paper.

> I'm willing to obtain (to dedicate to this task) any printer that'll
> provide good results for this.

Go UV!  There's a bit more investment, but the results are far more
reliable.

Either way, I suspect you'll be much happier with your results with a
hacked laminator: http://www.delorie.com/electronics/laminator/
Stock laminators are too cool for toner transfer and too hot for UV
lamination.

Also, this topic is the focus of the Homebrew_PCBs Yahoo! group, and
they maintain a database of what works (printers, papers, etc) and
what doesn't.