Re: gEDA-user: homebrew UV photoplotter for direct exposing of photo-etch-resist on laminate

On 6/21/10 5:26 PM, Christoph Lechner wrote:
>>> Well, those people don't care about Laser safety, I guess ...
>
>>   Why do you say that?  Surely they were wearing goggles.  Anyone smart
>> enough to build such a system is surely smart enough to wear goggles
>> while operating it.
>
> I'm sure that most folks showing of laser stuff on the Internet don't
> care too much about laser safety.

  Eh, that's an awfully big generalization.  Just because it's "on the
Internet" doesn't mean it's some amateur playing around in his spare
bedroom for recreational purposes.  I think you'd be surprised.

> One point could be that laser googles are costly. Or maybe they don't know.

  If they're too cheap or too clueless to drop $75 on a pair of goggles,
well, Darwin is knocking at their door.  I can only hope they'll go
blind before the reproduce instead of after. ;)

> So, when do you consider a result as good? With toner transfer I do the
> TQFP44 w/ 0.8mm pin spacing footprints of ATMega16 regularly. It just works.
>
> But there's a big difference when you compare different printers, even
> when made by the same vendor. For example Laserjet 4000 prints don't
> work for me, so I do my toner transfer stuff with my Color Laserjet
> 4600. Both printers using original HP supplies.

  The last time I tried it, several years ago, it was 0.8mm pitch and an
Apple LaserWriter 16/600PS (canon EX engine) and got crap results.  Now
I have HP 8100DN and 8550DN printers; do you think either of those would
be worth a try?  I'm willing to obtain (to dedicate to this task) any
printer that'll provide good results for this.

              -Dave

Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL