Re: gEDA-user: PCB head fails with ***MEMORY-ERROR***

Andrew Poelstra wrote:

> Use gdb to get a backtrace (gdb ./pcb, then r to run, bt to backtrace).

On my other, more muscular box, the repeated application of "optimize rats"
takes down the whole desktop environment. After about two minutes the screen
freezes and blacks out. A few seconds later this single line is shown:
  acpid: client 5490 [0:0] has disconnected

I could still change to a different tty with [ctrl-alt-F1]. The gdm service
failed to restart. So I rebooted the whole box.

This seems to be a memory leak problem. I noted, that memory usage goes way up
on rats optimization until it hits the ceiling (memory and swap used 100%).
See the system log I attached to the lauchpad bug report.
     https://bugs.launchpad.net/pcb/+bug/792139

These crashes happen with my current, a bit larger project. The same PCB
binary behaves inconspicuously when used with small scale projects. I attached
a gzip of the offending layout to this mail.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211